You may click the Booking Request button above, or get in touch with Karen Scargall to check availability and for more information. Ready to take the next step? Let’s talk!
Derrick McKenzie started drumming professionally in the early 1980s, for bands such as Pure n Simple, Tranzeyance, Candyland and Urban Species. In 1994 he joined the band Jamiroquai during their second album ‘Return of the Space Cowboy’ and the rest is history!
Since joining Jamiroquai, Derrick has written and played on eight albums and completed six sold-out world tours, becoming an awarding-winning drummer and songwriter, with a collection of awards including an Ivor Novello award, a Grammy and numerous accolades from MTV, BMI, MOBO and the Billboard Music Awards.
Also, as well as being a well-accomplished Drummer, Derrick is also becoming a well-established DJ, having started working professionally in 2004, after DJing for Jamiroquai aftershow parties in bars and clubs.
Derrick’s main style is Soulful House, Jackin House, Tech House, Deep Soulful House, Funk, Soul, Disco, DiscoFunk, Nu Disco, Old Skool, RnB, also 80’s and 90’s Soul.
Having worked with Deedylicious and the iCulture production team, Derrick has also worked with some great DJ producers such as Roger Sanchez, Steve Mac, Richard Earnshaw, Miguel Migs and looks forward to future music as both a Drummer and DJ.
Derrick has DJed in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Switzerland, The Netherlands, the USA (San Francisco, New York and Chicago), Armenia and Australia, to name a few!
In Traxsource End of 2021, Derrick Mckenzie was ranked #56 in Best of Soulful House and #84 Nu- Disco Artists.
- 1 x Ivor Novello Award for ‘Outstanding Song Collection’ from the British Academy of Songwriters (1999)
- 1 x Silver Clef Award (1998)
- 1 x Grammy Award for ‘Best Performance By A Duo Or Group’ (1997)
- 1 x BMI Award for ‘BMI Presidents Award’ (2017)
- 1 x Hungarian Music Award for ‘Best Foreign Album’ (1998)
- 1 x MOBO Award for ‘Best Album’ (1997)
- 2 x MTV Video Music Awards for ‘Video of the Year’ and ‘Breakthrough Video’ (1997)
- 2 x Billboard Music Awards – ‘Alternative/ModernRock Clip of the Year’ and the ‘Maximum Vision Award’ (1997)
- 2 x Japan Gold Disc Awards for ‘Best Album of the Year – Rock / Folk’ (1997) and ‘Rock Album of the Year’ (2000)
- 5 x IFPI Platinum Europe Awards (1996 – 2001)
- 13 x Brit Award nominations (1994 – 2003)
Derrick has also worked with Purple Disco Machine and Matt Johnson and also with Michael Gray and Kellie Sae. Derrick has gigs this year with Matt Johnson and Jamiroquai so a good time as always to be had!!!